Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TalkTalk Broadband on Ex-Cable Phone Number (Read 7,370 times)
4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
TalkTalk Broadband on Ex-Cable Phone Number
Sep 9th, 2006 at 12:03pm

Some time ago we switched our telephone provider from NTL to BT in order that we could enjoy the full benefits of using 1899 and 18185. For convenience we retained the same telephone number and are now billed by BT. Recently we enquired about signing up for talktalk broadband and were told that we cannot have it because we have an NTL phone. After explaining that we had switched to BT and retained our old number I was told that the old number is still a registered NTL number and this prevents us from being able to join talktalk. I was advised that the only way around it is to change our phone number to a BT registered number, BT have also confirmed this. Is there anyone else out there who has had this problem or knows of another way around it?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: TalkTalk Broadband on Ex-Cable Phone Number
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 4:13pm

This is true and I've heard it before on the MSE forum (but can't find the thread).

The problem, I think, is related to the fact that believe it or not all incoming calls to your landline still go via your old cable operator (NTL/TW) first and then NTL/TW automatically route your calls to BT.  Outgoing calls aren't affected by number porting.

TalkTalk are free to set their own criteria for those wanting to join them and they have obviously chosen not to deal with anyone unless they're on BT and the number belongs to BT.

I'm not sure if there is any technical reason for this or just TT being funny/lazy.  I can forsee one of the reasons may have something to do with free TT to TT calls that TalkTalk do as these type of calls would actually cost TalkTalk money simply because anyone calling you (if you were on TalkTalk) would have the call routed to NTL/TW first which means that TalkTalk would have to pay for the call as it leaves their network.

If you really want TalkTalk despite the many problems people have reported and the many threads then only thing I can suggest is you have a new BT number.

I know this is annoying as we're also an ex-cable customer and would have the same problems if we wanted to go to TalkTalk but I personally wouldn't go near TalkTalk until they sort themselves out.

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 10:52pm

Thanks for the explanation and the warning about talktalk. As we have Sky, I will perhaps change to them once their Broadband is available in our area. Have you heard any reports about whether their service is good or not?
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2006 at 10:53pm by 4PetesSake »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 8:28am

Sky Broadband is only available in certain areas (just like TalkTalk) so you have to register your interest with them and they'll let you know if you can use them.

I've not noticed any adverse problems relating to Sky broadband yet but they are still relatively new.

If you are going to use Sky then I think you can continue to keep your existing cable number without having to pay BT for a new BT number as I've not heard of SkyTalk and Sky broadband insisting you have to have a BT number but don't quote me on that!  Registering your interest for Sky broadband would probably tell you if you couldn't use them because you have a cable number.

As far as I'm aware its only TalkTalk that insist you have a BT number.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2006 at 8:28am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 11:00pm

Hello Ofcom - what about proper number portability, please?

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 4:34am

Quote:
Posted by: Tanllan Sunday 10 Sep at 18:00

But surely that would be a customer convenience, and a Telco Inconvenience....... and we all know where Ofcom's interest lies, don't we?  Wink

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 9:23am

It is indeed a Telco inconvenience, however due to this inconvenience I did not switch to talktalk and now even better Broadband/Telephone deals are rolling out that are as good as or better than talktalks - ie SKY! For once their awkwardness has actually helped. The least broadband switches you make the better. I would rather switch bank accounts!

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 9:35am

Tanllan wrote on Sep 10th, 2006 at 11:00pm:
I believe this whole issue over number portability with regards to TalkTalk is just how TalkTalk's system is setup to recognise telephone numbers entered. 

It appears that TalkTalk's computer system does an Oftel/Ofcom number allocation check which would then reveal that the number belongs to cable - even after you port numbers Oftel/Ofcom register still shows the number belongs to cable.

As you mention it all boils down to having a proper number portability system in operation but it was all the networks (except Orange) that rejected having a proper number portability where it was possible to know if someone has ported their number and which network it was ported to.  It was rejected because of the costs involved.

I discussed this in the Mobile rates for transferred (ported) numbers thread and specifically this thread.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge