Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The cheapest PAYG Mobile (Read 23,913 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: The cheapest PAYG Mobile
Reply #15 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 5:16pm

jrawle wrote on Sep 19th, 2006 at 5:03pm:
Anyway, I don't agree that calls to other networks are "one of the most important things to bear in mind" for everyone. Again, this will depend on what each individual intends to use the phone for. ...

They are for those who ring other mobiles from their mobile. My point is that what purports to be a 'cheap' tariff charges what is an extortionate rate for calls to (using the law of averages) approxiamately 3 out of 4 mobile phone calls.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #16 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 6:30pm

jrawle wrote on Sep 19th, 2006 at 11:47am:
As I said, there isn't one tariff that's cheapest and best suited to everyone. For anyone who uses the phone quite a bit, easyMobile might be more suitable. I hardly use my phone, so Virgin is more suitable for me. Unfortunately, choosing the most suitable tariff is far from simple as there are so many hidden details and the workings of each tariff are different.
I agree, there isn't one network/tariff thats cheapest for everything.  Each network/tariff has its good points and bad points and like you said it depends on personal usage.

I mostly text and make the odd call from mobiles so I use o2 where I get 300texts and 150off-peak xnet mins for topping up by £15 a month and still get my credit to spend as well.  This tariff never lasted long and new customers can't get this tariff.

Most people I ring are on o2 anyhow as most of them are on the free texts/mins like I am.  For those that aren't on the same network then I pay 40p/min if outside my inclusive mins or peak time.

Personally, I think Virgin tariff and that of o2's are very similar except o2 do free texts or mins whereas Virgin don't give anything for free - although virgin do charge 5p/min cheaper for calling xnet mobiles than o2.  As you said it depends on usage and if I had to ring virgin mobiles a lot then I'd reluctantly have to move to Virgin.

o2 also charge 15p/min like virgin do for NGN except 0871.  I did notice, however, some 0870 numbers on Virgin are charged at 50p/min (see their small print) which I assume these numbers are being used as dial-through providers for which Virgin have caught on to and have increased their prices accordingly as does all the mobile networks when they find out.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2006 at 6:35pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #17 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 6:43pm

darkstar wrote on Sep 17th, 2006 at 6:48pm:
For PAYG I find Easymobile to be the best. But hey ho and all that. Wink
Remember that EasyMobile have/are introducing a one minute minimum call charge which once their current offer ends, that means you are paying 15p minimum per call so if you get someones answermachine/voicemail, or they answer but are too busy to speak to you then that's just cost you 15p.

EasyMobile with this 15p minimum call charge has to be the most expensive minimum call charge on all UK networks - that along with their charges for not using the phone as much as what they want - make EasyMobile, in my opinion, not a very good choice at all.

TescoMobile charge 15p for their calls (although they do other tariffs which maybe more suited) and don't have any of these hidden charges and a masive 15p minimum call charge.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2006 at 6:50pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #18 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 11:33pm

bbb_uk wrote on Sep 19th, 2006 at 6:30pm:
I mostly text and make the odd call from mobiles so I use o2 where I get 300texts and 150off-peak xnet mins for topping up by £15 a month and still get my credit to spend as well.  This tariff never lasted long and new customers can't get this tariff.
Is that o2 Genie? Those SIM cards are still available from some online stores and on eBay (just in case anyone reading this is interested).

o2 also charge 15p/min like virgin do for NGN except 0871.  I did notice, however, some 0870 numbers on Virgin are charged at 50p/min (see their small print) which I assume these numbers are being used as dial-through providers for which Virgin have caught on to and have increased their prices accordingly as does all the mobile networks when they find out.
Not quite. Those numbers are charged at 50p per call. They are not the ones used for dial-through providers, they are actually numbers that are fixed cost on BT (0871 321 is 5.1p +VAT on BT). Even if it was a dial-through number, 50p per call would be a bargain for having a long chat to a friend on a different network!

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #19 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 11:51pm

Quote:
The advantage of Virgin is that calls to non-geographical numbers - including 0871 - are only 15p/min. That means you can use dial-through numbers to call mobiles on other networks. The price of these calls used to be hard to find out, but recently (since the new rules?) they've added it to the info on their website.

Anyway, I don't agree that calls to other networks are "one of the most important things to bear in mind" for everyone. Again, this will depend on what each individual intends to use the phone for. I personally would never dial any mobile from my mobile, and almost never from a landline. Having said that, I must admit to keeping the latest 0871 number programmed into the "calling card" feature of my phone in case I need to call a mobile urgently.

I'm confused, why would you not want to use your landline to call a mobile (5p weekdays, 2p weekends) using 18185 and rather use your mobile and the 0871 numbe at 15p a minute.

~Edited by bbb_uk: Fixed quote
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2006 at 9:21am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 12:22am

I suppose you could have the best of both worlds by putting  2 T-Mob Payg Sims in a dual sim holder. One on the 12p x-net tariff the other on the 3p text tariff.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #21 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 9:32am

4PetesSake wrote on Sep 19th, 2006 at 11:51pm:
I'm confused, why would you not want to use your landline to call a mobile (5p weekdays, 2p weekends) using 18185 and rather use your mobile and the 0871 number at 15p a minute.
Some people do prefer to use mobiles to ring other mobiles even though it may be cheaper from some landlines.  I'm the same but we have mobile and premium rate numbers blocked.  This way, as we're all on PAYG, i'm reminded how expensive mobiles can be because of how quickly credit can run out.  Whereas, making a lot of calls via Call18185 would be cheaper per minute but by the time the bill comes in (can be few months with these companies) then you only then realise how expensive mobiles actually are to call.  That is, assuming you don't check your bill online every now and then which some people may not.

For those that are ringing mobiles a lot, it maybe to be on a contract or PAYG that has inclusive mins, which could make it cheaper doing it this way rather than a landline.

Again, it really all does depend on individual usage.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #22 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 9:36am

jrawle wrote on Sep 19th, 2006 at 11:33pm:
I mostly text and make the odd call from mobiles so I use o2 where I get 300texts and 150off-peak xnet mins for topping up by £15 a month and still get my credit to spend as well.  This tariff never lasted long and new customers can't get this tariff.
Is that o2 Genie? Those SIM cards are still available from some online stores and on eBay (just in case anyone reading this is interested).
Yes, they're called o2 Online and have been for years now but before then they were known as o2 Genie.  You can still get the SIM cards from o2 themselves or sometimes they still do free o2 simcard offers but the tariff I'm on was stopped for new customers probably because it was costing o2 more money than they might make back.  The only tariffs available to new customers now are here.

o2 also charge 15p/min like virgin do for NGN except 0871.  I did notice, however, some 0870 numbers on Virgin are charged at 50p/min (see their small print) which I assume these numbers are being used as dial-through providers for which Virgin have caught on to and have increased their prices accordingly as does all the mobile networks when they find out.
Not quite. Those numbers are charged at 50p per call..
My mistake, I scanned the small print and noticed the 50p and assumed it was per min and not per call.  Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2006 at 9:39am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #23 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 12:34pm

4PetesSake wrote on Sep 19th, 2006 at 11:51pm:
I'm confused, why would you not want to use your landline to call a mobile (5p weekdays, 2p weekends) using 18185 and rather use your mobile and the 0871 numbe at 15p a minute.
I quite agree. I'd extend that to ask, why do people use mobiles at all as they are always more expensive than a landline. But clearly people do use them for a variety of reasons. Personally I prefer not to, so I just use a PAYG tariff where I only need to use it once every six months to keep it alive.

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #24 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 12:55pm

I agree. I personally don't top up my Tesco Mobile with £15 a month but I still get the half price calls to my 3 favourite numbers and these are about the only numbers that I dial. Therefore a £10 top up will easily last me a year.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #25 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 7:16pm

Funny you should mention that as I've just received an email from o2 and they are doing free sims again.

See here.

As mentioned in my previous post, their tariff details can be viewed here which lists what they give for free - just for topping-up.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge