Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The cheapest PAYG Mobile (Read 23,908 times)
4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
The cheapest PAYG Mobile
Sep 13th, 2006 at 11:52pm

I have been trying to work out who provides the cheapest PAYG mobile for calling all types of numbers ie. same network, other networks, and landlines. Unless anyone else can tell me differently, I think the answer is Tesco Mobile. However this is on the proviso that you are willing to top up £15 a month.

If you sign up to their automatic on-line top up at http://www.tescomobile.com/topup.aspx for £15 a month to be credited to your mobile, you will only be charged £13.50, (a 10% saving), also by crediting this amount to your mobile all calls to all networks and to landlines are 10p a minute. texts 5p. Now because you are saving 10% on your top ups, this effectively makes the call cost just 9p a minute. On top of this you also get your Clubcard points, which if you convert them to clubcard deals are worth 4%. This brings the cost of each call down to about 8.6p a minute. Needless to say, we now use the Tesco mobile network, but would change it we could find a better PAYG deal.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2006 at 11:53pm by 4PetesSake »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: The cheapest PAYG Mobile
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 12:17am

Which PAYG phone is cheapest will depend on exactly how you use it. I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all solution. If Tesco works for you, given the volume and type of calls you make, stick with it. I do think, however, if you have to pay £13.50 every month, it's no longer a PAYG phone by definition.

I use Virgin because I rarely use my phone, and there are no strings attached or hidden extra charges. I only have to use the phone once every six months and that's it.

Easymobile has very cheap headline prices, but there are so many hidden charges on top of this (whole-minute charging, monthly service charge if you don't use your phone, etc.)

Of course, the cheapest solution is to not use a mobile at all as they are all a rip-off compared to landlines.

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 5:49am

You make some very valid points, as it is how often you use the phone that determines which is the best tariff. I didn't use my phone very much to start with and found the Tesco Value Tariff to be very good. This is similar to the Easy Mobile Tariff but does not have the hidden charges.

On the Tesco £15 a month tariff, if you build up too much credit you can cancel the monthly direct debit until you have used up the credit and then reinstate it. However calls charges during this time will be the equivalent of 17.2p per minute but will still be 8.6p a minutes to your 3 favourite numbers.

I have just had a look at the Virgin tariffs, which are not too bad, apart from the 35p per minute call charge to other mobile networks - that is really steep compared with Tesco's 8.6p or even the 17.2p if it is not one of you favourite numbers.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2006 at 6:00am by 4PetesSake »  

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 8:11am

Another advantage of the Virgin Payg Tariff is the Free Voicemail. Smiley

Virgin charge 15p a minute to call 0844/0870/ and 0871 so you can reduce the cost of your x-net mobile calls to 15p a minute by using one of the many 0844/0871 dial through access numbers. Wink
See:  http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/ukcallchecker/

I am surprised you dont have a T-Plus mobile. Smiley Lol.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2006 at 8:14am by N/A »  

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 10:11pm

T+ for mobile!!!!! You must be kidding!!!! All calls may be 8p per minute but you still have to may a line rental of £8 a month. As I mentioned in my first post Tesco works out at 8.6p per minute and you do not have to pay £8 per month for the mere privilege of being on their tariff. T+ really don't have any competitive products any more.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2006 at 12:30am

It's possible to use an O2 SIM with int'l option and a calling card to make 300 minutes a month of calls for just over £12.

For lower users, the initial bonus credit offer on an easyMobile SIM would take quite a while to use

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2006 at 1:56am

4PetesSake wrote on Sep 15th, 2006 at 10:11pm:
T+ for mobile!!!!! You must be kidding!!!! All calls may be 8p per minute but you still have to may a line rental of £8 a month. As I mentioned in my first post Tesco works out at 8.6p per minute and you do not have to pay £8 per month for the mere privilege of being on their tariff. T+ really don't have any competitive products any more.

Yes i am fully aware of that.I was only suggesting it in a light hearted way because i had read with interest your post about T-Plus on another site.

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2006 at 9:32pm

When I saw that your - tounge in cheek- suggestion about T+ mobile, I guessed that you had probably seen my scathing piece on them on MSE. So far, not many other distrubutors have jumped to defend T+ so perhaps they are also disillusioned with their products.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2006 at 9:33pm by 4PetesSake »  

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 9:53am

Another sleeping distributor appears here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=265517

Sorry i am going off thread. Smiley

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 6:48pm

For PAYG I find Easymobile to be the best. But hey ho and all that. Wink

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 8:32am

darkstar wrote on Sep 17th, 2006 at 6:48pm:

Have you overlooked, its hidden charges eg the 75p a month low user charge,and the fact that its min call charge goes up to 15p on the 1/10/2006.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2006 at 8:36am by N/A »  

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 11:15pm

Quote:
darkstar wrote on Sep 17th, 2006 at 6:48pm:

Have you overlooked, its hidden charges eg the 75p a month low user charge,and the fact that its min call charge goes up to 15p on the 1/10/2006.

Nope. But my calls tend to be long calls anyway and I do spend more than  a fiver a month on the thing so Im sure I will live.
But given that once a month they do a 'lucky day' where they dont charge for calls or texts and it balances out for me.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #12 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 11:47am

darkstar wrote on Sep 18th, 2006 at 11:15pm:
Nope. But my calls tend to be long calls anyway and I do spend more than  a fiver a month on the thing so Im sure I will live.
But given that once a month they do a 'lucky day' where they dont charge for calls or texts and it balances out for me.

As I said, there isn't one tariff that's cheapest and best suited to everyone. For anyone who uses the phone quite a bit, easyMobile might be more suitable. I hardly use my phone, so Virgin is more suitable for me. Unfortunately, choosing the most suitable tariff is far from simple as there are so many hidden details and the workings of each tariff are different.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #13 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 2:20pm

One of the most important things to bear in mind is charges for calls to other networks. Mobile providers are quick to advertise calls from whatever rate, but quite often this only applies to calls to landlines and mobiles on the same network. Virgin's pre-pay tariff, for example, charges 35p/min at all times to other networks.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #14 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 5:03pm

The advantage of Virgin is that calls to non-geographical numbers - including 0871 - are only 15p/min. That means you can use dial-through numbers to call mobiles on other networks. The price of these calls used to be hard to find out, but recently (since the new rules?) they've added it to the info on their website.

Anyway, I don't agree that calls to other networks are "one of the most important things to bear in mind" for everyone. Again, this will depend on what each individual intends to use the phone for. I personally would never dial any mobile from my mobile, and almost never from a landline. Having said that, I must admit to keeping the latest 0871 number programmed into the "calling card" feature of my phone in case I need to call a mobile urgently.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2006 at 5:06pm by jrawle »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge