Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Posted back to the UK (Read 3,126 times)
gavbam

Posted back to the UK
Oct 21st, 2006 at 10:48am

Hi guys, Having spent the last 7yrs abroad on postings i am seriously behind the times with the UK companies.
I will be moving to Bath in Jan 2007 and need to know which telecom company is recommended?

I need B/Band (1mb or above) and telephone, total calls aprox 2/3 a day but only to national UK numbers and non abroad.
I have searched some sites but i think you guys are the ones with contracts so your probably the best to speak to rather than rely on 2006 estimated figures.

B/band is a must as i use Skype hell of alot so any ideas on ISP's would be great too (seeing that i have 2 kids) unlimited use is recommeded.

Many thanks for your time.

warm regards
GP

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: Posted back to the UK
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 11:10am

Hi Gavbam,

It is a general consensus to have BT as a landline as it allows you to choose from so many other providers - one includes free evening & weekend calls to geographical numbers.

The current cheapest are set out in the thread, Cheap Call Providers - BT landline.  If you are thinking of cable as your landline provider (not recommended) then you could look at the thread, Cheap Call Providers - Cable landline.

As for your broadband then if you're in a Telewest area, I'd recommend there 2mb broadband totally unlimited without caps, traffic shaping.  Due to how Telewest broadband works compared to broadband via a BT landline - you are more likely to get a consistent high speed from a telewest (cable) provider compared to one using ADSL delivered via a BT line.  You don't need to subscribe to Telewest's landline service at all.  Telewest are currently doing an offer of £14.99 a month for 12months for 2mb totally unlimited (normally £17.99 a month).

A lot of other providers, despite stating unlimited, actually may have 'traffic' shaping which basically means traffic for viewing webpages and email will be given higher priority (and therefore faster) than all other traffic which may include VoIP, P2P, gaming, etc.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2006 at 11:11am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

gavbam

Re: Posted back to the UK
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 11:29am

Many thanks for your reply, it now gives me a better view of where i need to be heading my directions.

As for the ISP i'll have to go to Telewest web site and se if they are in the area i am moving to.

Once again many thanks for your time

have a great weekend

Gavin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge