Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Onetel telecoms  & Broadband (Read 11,749 times)
jamesbond

Suffolk
Onetel telecoms  & Broadband
Oct 22nd, 2006 at 12:41pm

Hi all!

Just to let you know, TalkTalk are now migrating OneTel customers for Telecoms and Broadband to the TalkTalk packages.

James Bond

IP Logged

telcoman

Re: Onetel telecoms  & Broadband
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 2:32pm

How does that affect Onetel's cable customers, who don't qualify for carrier preselection or line rental? And will this mean we'll no longer have to talk to Indian call centre staff who use fifteen words when they only need to use three (and then repeat themselves)? After offshoring, Onetel had the cheek to replace its 0800 number with an 0845 one - I started using their London one instead.

IP Logged

Justin

Thatfreebie.com
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 5:17pm

AFter 6 years using 1877 with onetel they sent me a letter saying i can no longer use the 1877 for cheap calls (talktalk barred this number) and said that i could use talktalks number for cheap calls!!!!

Why not visit www.thatfreebie.com Smiley and enjoy freebies Smiley

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 7:29pm

jamesbond wrote on Oct 22nd, 2006 at 12:41pm:
Just to let you know, TalkTalk are now migrating OneTel customers for Telecoms and Broadband to the TalkTalk packages.
So what are your plans now?

telcoman wrote on Oct 22nd, 2006 at 2:32pm:
How does that affect Onetel's cable customers, who don't qualify for carrier preselection or line rental?
TalkTalk only support BT customers (as do most other teleco's) so I think you're stuck with paying cable prices (they are THE most expensive out of all the other landline providers including BT) or moving to BT (recommended) and using one the many other providers available to you.

Don't forget to see Cheap Call Provider for Cable customers thread.  In fact, I plan on updating that sometime this week.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2006 at 7:37pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

jamesbond

Suffolk
Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 10:00pm

Hi there!

I have signed up with Superline ( CPS telephone ) and I have just signed up with Zen Broadband.

James Bond

IP Logged

acezing

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 11:11pm

jamesbond wrote on Oct 22nd, 2006 at 10:00pm:
Hi there!

I have signed up with Superline ( CPS telephone ) and I have just signed up with Zen Broadband.

James Bond

Why Superline?.

Their CPS packages are some of the most expensive around and their Intl and Mobile Calls are expensive plus  their charges to call 0845/0870 are extortinate. 0845 peak 6p a min. 0870 peak 11p a minute. Shocked
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2006 at 11:22pm by acezing »  

IP Logged

jamesbond

Suffolk
Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 6:00pm

I use 18185 for 0845 and 0870 numbers.

James Bond

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 9:18pm

jamesbond wrote on Oct 22nd, 2006 at 10:00pm:
Hi there!

James Bond

Did you check out Phone.coop because during the evening & weekends you only pay 4.7 per call (geographical numbers only obviously).  This is cheapest now I think for those unfortunate enough to have a cable landline.  As I said I plan on updating my Cheap Call Provider - Cable landline to mention this.

Thanks to Orsonkart for pointing this out.

IP Logged

acezing

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 11:18am

jamesbond wrote on Oct 23rd, 2006 at 6:00pm:
I use 18185 for 0845 and 0870 numbers.

James Bond

So why the expensive cps service  Smiley

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 3:27pm

bbb_uk wrote on Oct 23rd, 2006 at 9:18pm:
Did you check out Phone.coop because during the evening & weekends you only pay 4.7 per call (geographical numbers only obviously).  This is cheapest now I think for those unfortunate enough to have a cable landline.  As I said I plan on updating my Cheap Call Provider - Cable landline to mention this.

This sounds worth investigating. I'd been using Onetel's StandardUKTalk which gives you an hour for 5p for weekends and evenings. I'm still signed up for this, though the above comments suggest that it may be taken away soon. And Telewest's £11 rental package includes free weekend calls, so obviously it's best to use them at weekends.

The problem for me was 1899's steady increase in charges over the past year, so that even just for day time use a minimum 5p per call was becoming too much (4p connection plus 1p per minute rounded up to the nearest minute ie. one second charged as one minute).

So it certainly looks worth the effort to switch to BT (unless you have to pay a £125 installation charge). I was about to do this until Telewest offered me enough discount that I'd have lost money making the switch. But I'll be thinking again about taking action on switching when the discounts run out.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 5:53pm

AJR wrote on Nov 5th, 2006 at 3:27pm:
bbb_uk wrote on Oct 23rd, 2006 at 9:18pm:
Did you check out Phone.coop because during the evening & weekends you only pay 4.7 per call (geographical numbers only obviously).  This is cheapest now I think for those unfortunate enough to have a cable landline.  As I said I plan on updating my Cheap Call Provider - Cable landline to mention this.

This sounds worth investigating. I'd been using Onetel's StandardUKTalk which gives you an hour for 5p for weekends and evenings. I'm still signed up for this, though the above comments suggest that it may be taken away soon. And Telewest's £11 rental package includes free weekend calls, so obviously it's best to use them at weekends.
Basically, it would only be CoOp at the evenings.  During the day, Call18185 is best used and like you said your cable provider during the weekends.

Quote:
So it certainly looks worth the effort to switch to BT (unless you have to pay a £125 installation charge). I was about to do this until Telewest offered me enough discount that I'd have lost money making the switch. But I'll be thinking again about taking action on switching when the discounts run out.
Even if you did have to pay the £125 installation, I think that overtime you would make that money back well and truely.  Simply because there is competition available for calls and inclusive packages for those with a BT landline (shame about linerental, etc though).

Whereas, the cable companies know that they've got you where they want you and can charge what they like and continue to do so despite competition.  Cable are more expensive than BT and I never thought I'd here myself say that!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge