Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VOSA/MoT/ASA (Read 15,749 times)
derrick
Supreme Member

VOSA/MoT/ASA
Jun 13th, 2007 at 11:29am

A few weeks ago I complained to the ASA about the 0870 number on the back of the new style MoT cert being described as "national rate" I have eventually got a reply as follows:-

Dear Mr

Your complaint about VOSA call pricing claims

Thank you for your emails sent in May; I am sorry for the delay in responding to your queries.

I have looked at the example you sent us about an incorrect call pricing indication on the back of your MOT certificate.  Unfortunately, we are unable to assist you on this occasion, because this does not constitute advertising for the purpose of our Code.

Your MOT certificate is an informational piece of literature and is not a piece of marketing material.

I am sorry that we are unable to help you in this instance but I hope you find this information useful and thank you for taking the time to contact us with your complaint.

Yours sincerely

Edited:
Name removed

Complaints Executive

Another waste of time complaining
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:06pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

dad2711

kent
Re: VOSA/MoT/ASA
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 11:13pm

derrick wrote on Jun 13th, 2007 at 11:29am:
A few weeks ago I complained to the ASA about the 0870 number on the back of the new style MoT cert being described as "national rate" I have eventually got a reply as follows:-

Dear Mr

Your complaint about VOSA call pricing claims

Thank you for your emails sent in May; I am sorry for the delay in responding to your queries.

I have looked at the example you sent us about an incorrect call pricing indication on the back of your MOT certificate.  Unfortunately, we are unable to assist you on this occasion, because this does not constitute advertising for the purpose of our Code.

Your MOT certificate is an informational piece of literature and is not a piece of marketing material.

so is this not a type of advertisement that is under the rules yeah nice 1 another cop-out i think

~ Edited by Dave: Quote box added
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2007 at 8:49pm by Dave »  

dad2711 &&I try to find numbers :--  but now im getting better at finding them

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 11:06am

Which is why people need to write to ed.richards@ofcom.org.uk (Ofcom CEO) asking what are they going to do about this kind of 084/7 misselling when the ASA cannot deal with the matter.

<div style=

IP Logged

MrAsaboa

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:51pm

Yeah, I know this is a really old post, but I came across this in a Google search and just had to respond.  Who in their right mind would reasonably think that the ADVERTISING Standards Authority would deal with MOT Certificates?  An MOT Certificate isn't what most people would consider advertising, is it?

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:55pm

MrAsaboa wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:51pm:
Yeah, I know this is a really old post, but I came across this in a Google search and just had to respond.  Who in their right mind would reasonably think that the ADVERTISING Standards Authority would deal with MOT Certificates?  An MOT Certificate isn't what most people would consider advertising, is it?

It is however an incorrect price description so someone should be responsible for taking action.  Logically this should be either Trading Standards but they always seem to duck wanting to do anything about call cost misdescription issues.  Perhaps this is because the OFT so regularly misuses 084/7 numbers itself. Shocked Angry Cry

<div style=

IP Logged

MrAsaboa

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:57pm

Additionally, I tried to report this post, but can't find a report option, and I'm not allowed to PM moderators here either, so I might as well post this here:

I see the OP
[personal information removed]
edited the email to remove his name, but couldn't extend that courtesy to me.  I'd be grateful if a mod (or [derrick] himself) could remove my name from the post.  I should make clear that I haven't worked at the ASA for some time and would rather not have my name included on message boards.  As, indeed, I told [derrick] some years ago when last dealing with his complaints.

~ Edited by Dave: Personal details removed
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:12pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

MrAsaboa

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:59pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:55pm:
It is however an incorrect price description so someone should be responsible for taking action.  Logically this should be either Trading Standards but they always seem to duck wanting to do anything about call cost misdescription issues.  Perhaps this is because the OFT so regularly misuses 084/7 numbers itself. Shocked Angry Cry

Fwiw, I actually agree with this - but I don't think you can pick any agency and expect them to deal with everything.  Logically, I can see how this should fall within Ofcom's remit, but it's definitely not advertising.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:04pm

MrAsaboa wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:59pm:
Fwiw, I actually agree with this - but I don't think you can pick any agency and expect them to deal with everything.  Logically, I can see how this should fall within Ofcom's remit, but it's definitely not advertising.

Ofcom is not just not advertising its services in this area it is actively refusing to do anything about the issue if you are a member of the public.  Ofcom is only interested in resolving disputes between members of the telecom industry who pay its membership fees.

The OFT should be able to take action except that they seem to be also actively complicit in benefiting from revenue share telephone scams including both the OFT helpline and the main contact number for Consumer Direct.  Both are on 0845 numbers. Angry Angry Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:09pm

MrAsaboa wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:57pm:
Additionally, I tried to report this post, but can't find a report option, and I'm not allowed to PM moderators here either, so I might as well post this here:

I have amended the OP as you request. I have also removed the OP's personal details which you innappropriately disclosed on a public forum.

IP Logged

MrAsaboa

Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:18pm

Dave wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:09pm:
MrAsaboa wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:57pm:

I have amended the OP as you request. I have also removed the OP's personal details which you innappropriately disclosed on a public forum.

Cheers for that - much appreciated.  And my actions were as inappropriate as the OP's by the way.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:19pm

MrAsaboa wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:18pm:
Cheers for that - much appreciated.  And my actions were as inappropriate as the OP's by the way.

Two wrongs don't make a right !

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 10:02am

Don't know what personal info was posted about me as I did not see it before deletion, however as the post was nearly 3 years old and resurrected by by MrAsaboa (who seems not to be bothered about putting his name up himself), the only personal info in my OP was the name on the bottom of a letter from an employee working for a public company, and whose name will have appeared at the bottom of any/all letters sent out by him, it's not as if he is in the secret services.

IP Logged

MrAsaboa

Reply #12 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 1:33pm

Dave wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:19pm:
MrAsaboa wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:18pm:
Cheers for that - much appreciated.  And my actions were as inappropriate as the OP's by the way.

Two wrongs don't make a right !

Yup fair point that.

Derrick - I asked you at the time of correspondence to remove my real name.  I was merely an employee of said company; my role was merely to communicate any decisions to you.  I made this clear at the time we were corresponding.  In this day and age where potential employers often Google search people's name prior to offering them a role, I'd rather not have my real name propegated on website forums needlessly.  Like many of you on this board, I value my privacy - hence why I resurrected this thread as it came up in a Google search.

The matter has been resolved now by the moderator, and I appreciate that.  If you'd had the decency to remove my name when I asked (and you said you would) that would have been better.  Particularly as I felt I'd spent a lot of time trying to deal with your complaints, being as open as I could.  I think I made clear on several occasions that I agreed with all your objections, even if they were not always directed at the correct authority.

I hope I've made clear why I asked for my name to be removed.  Of course I don't work for the secret services ffs, I just value my privacy (Asaboa is not my real name btw).
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2010 at 1:33pm by MrAsaboa »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #13 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 1:37pm

MrAsaboa wrote on Apr 7th, 2010 at 1:33pm:
I hope I've made clear why I asked for my name to be removed.  Of course I don't work for the secret services ffs, I just value my privacy (Asaboa is not my real name btw).

Well clearly the ASA bit related to your employer and perhaps you also like snakes too? Cheesy

<div style=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge